Main navigation

Financial counselling

You are here:


If you are in financial difficulty, our Financial Counsellors can provide you with information about your rights and obligations, provide options to help remedy your financial situation and advocate and negotiate on your behalf.

We can provide free and confidential information and advice about: 

  • Centrelink debts and delays
  • consumer credit contract disputes
  • council and utility rates, arrears, and disconnection
  • credit card and personal loan arrears
  • creditor harassment
  • fines and warrants
  • mobile phone and internet contracts
  • mortgage and car finance issues
  • payday lending
  • repossession of goods and property
  • bankruptcy information

We can also:

  • help you with forms or applications, such as Centrelink forms
  • help you to avoid financial tricks and traps
  • help to ensure you receive any concessions or entitlements you may be entitled to.

Our Financial Counsellors are from the Carlton/Fitzroy Financial Counselling Service and are based at the Centre. They act on your behalf without any conflict of interest or any fees for service. They are not licensed financial planners and do not provide investment advice.

The services are free, confidential and tailored to your needs. Support can be organised quickly and easily and may be ongoing.

To make an appointment telephone 9948 8777 or visit the information desk at the Centre, 241 Wellington St Collingwood Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are advised that this website may contain images and voices of people who have died.

Reviewed: 19/12/2014 © 2017 State Government of Victoria