Is Housing taking you to VCAT?

If you rent your home from Housing, and Housing taking you to VCAT for any reason, talk to us today.  

We can:

  • Negotiate with VCAT for you.  
  • Develop a payment plan so you can manage how you pay your rent
  • Find alternative accommodation
  • Give you information, and support.
  • Provide financial counselling

We also have a wide range of financial counselling services (External link).

Our Forms & Advocacy (External link) service can help you get through your documents.

And if you have issues with Fines, talk to our Fines Assist (External link) clinic. 

Our services are free, easy to organise, and confidential.

Getting our help with your tenancy issue

Renting in public housing comes with responsibilities, just like in the private rental market.

For example, you must not damage the property, and you must pay rent on time.

These duties are made by law and are part of the Residential Tenancy Act 1997.  This law protects you and your landlord.

If you don’t stick to your responsibilities as a tenant, you are said to be in breach. For example, falling behind in rent is a breach.

When you breach your lease, Housing will send you a formal letter that set out what the issue is, and what needs to be done to fix it.

This is a Breach of Duty letter. As scary as it looks, do not ignore it.

Attending your hearing

If your issues aren’t solved, Housing may decide to evict you.  

Housing does this by going to the Victorian Civil Administration Tribunal (VCAT) to argue its case.  

It's very important for you to attend your hearing.  It's your right to do so, and it's also your chance to tell your side of the story.

And you don't have to go to your VCAT hearing alone.

We have many ways to assist you, including advocating on your behalf, negotiating with Housing, setting you up with payment plans and more.