Legal advice and information, and representation for criminal and civil matters

No matter how minor or serious your legal issue is, the justice system is complex, and navigating through it requires professional help. 

Depending on your needs and circumstances, we will provide you with information, advice, right up to full legal representation.

All legal assistance is provided by independent lawyers from:

  • Fitzroy Legal Service

  • Victoria Legal Aid

  • Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

  • Darabin Community Legal Service.


Criminal matters

Our court hears criminal matters from the less serious such as fines and minor traffic offences, to the serious, such as serious assaults, and family violence matters.

Importantly, our court focuses on helping people to break the cycle or patterns of offending. 

For this reason, we believe that court is not the end of the road, it's the chance at a new beginning. 

If you are struggling with difficult personal problems, such as drug dependency, mental health issues, or housing problems, we can help. 

Your lawyer will help you get onto the many treatment pathways you'll find here. 

If you are an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person, you will be assisted by the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service.  


Civil matters

Our Magistrates' Courts civil work focuses on:

  • Family violence and personal safety matters

  • Tenancy matters

  • Fines infringements 

Why get legal help?

Your lawyer will help you understand legal processes and laws, help you make decisions with greater clarity, and ensure you get the best outcome.

No matter what your matter is, having a lawyer by your side also takes a lot of the stress out of being in court.

If you opt to self-represent, consider carefully how much you understand about your matter, the law, and how the law works before you decide to go it alone.

If you decide you don’t need help now, you can change your mind at any time

You also may be eligible for free legal assistance and we can find out for you if this is the case.


Our lawyers help people who are:

  • Living in Yarra

  • Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and have a connection to Yarra

  • Experiencing homelessness and alleged to have offended in Yarra.

We may also be able to have your matter moved to our court if it is listed elsewhere.


Most legal help is free.  

Your lawyer will talk to you about your financial circumstances to make sure you get free help if it's appropriate.

In the event a service is not free, you may also be eligible for a grant for legal aid. Your lawyer will discuss your options with you.