About legal services
VIctoria Legal Aid and Fitzroy Legal Service are the main providers the duty lawyer service at the Neighbourhood Justice Centre.
Duty lawyers are lawyers who are on ‘duty’ at courts and tribunals across Victoria to help people who do not have their own lawyer.
Duty Lawyer assistance is free, however they do not represent everyone. Contact the following duty lawyer service providers for information and assistance.
- Victoria Legal Aid : 1300 792 387. (Mon to Fri: 8:45am to 5:15pm)
- Fitzroy Legal Service : 9419 3744 (or toll free 1800 064 865)
Help on the day of your hearing
If you don't have a lawyer on the day of your hearing, arrive at the NJC's court at 9am so one of our duty lawyer can assess your needs and options as soon as possible.
Legal clinics for free advice
Fitzroy Legal Service runs a free legal advice clinic . Bookings are essential.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal assistance
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service : (03) 9418 5999 ( toll free 1800 064 865)
Custody - finding a lawyer when in custody
Police stations provide people in custody with contact details for legal assistance.
Fitzroy Legal Service can also help. Call 0413 403 953 to speak to a criminal lawyer.
Pro Bono (free) services
People experiencing hardship and social disadvantage can receive pro bono (free) legal services. Here are options and steps to take:
- Victoria Legal Aid , is the main provider of government-funded legal assistance.
- If VLA can't help, contact the Federation of Community Legal Centres . They assist people who can't get assistance from VLA
- If a Community Legal Centre can't help, contact Justice Connect to find a private law firms that provides pro bono services.
- Contact the VicBar Pro Bono Scheme for information and eligibility criteria for free legal representation services.
Private legal representation
Visit the Law Institute of Victoria for information and contact details for private legal representation services.
Victoria Legal Aid is the go-to source of a wealth of information about the law, your rights, and the legal process.
- Victoria Legal Aid: find legal answers : Straight-forward and authoritative information