money and finances
Artwork: Teret, Corner of Little Smith Street and Webb Street, Fitzroy

About our financial support services

Few things are a stressful as the stress brought on by money issues, which is why our Financial Counsellors can help you through your our money problems.

And you don't have to attend our court to talk to our Financial Counsellors. If you live in the City of Yarra and need help, come in or call us on 9948 8777 to set up a meeting.

Financial counselling help includes:

  • financial counselling and debt repayment planning
  • referral services
  • advocacy
  • practical forms assistance
  • information about how to avoid financial pitfalls
  • Centrelink debts
  • utility rates and disconnections
  • fines and warrants
  • repossession of goods and property
  • getting concessions and other entitlements

We also provide specialised financial counselling, advocacy and assistance, including for:

Help with fines

Do you have fines that are out of control?  Our Fines Assist Clinic is free and confidential service for anyone in Yarra who's got fines to sort out.

It doesn't matter how many you have or where things are, we can help you get on top of the situation. 

Types of fines we can help with include:

  • Traffic infringements  (e.g. speeding, parking, running red lights tickets)
  • Public transport  (e.g. drinking or smoking on trains, no Myki, no concession card)
  • Victoria Police fines (e.g.  drunk in public and offensive language/behaviour)
  • CityLink or Eastlink tolls
  • Court fines 

We can also advocate with services and businesses on your behalf.

How it works

When you come in for a session we'll look at your fines, and talk about what's going on. From there, we work out the best way forward.

A session lasts an hour, and most clients need two or more. Don't forget, this service is free.

In between sessions, we' do the homework, including drafting letters or contracts.   

Special circumstances

You may have valid reasons to pay less or no fines. These are called special circumstances, and the court wants to hear these reasons. We'll identify if you qualify for special circumstances.

What to bring

You need to bring:

  • fines letters
  • Other letters or documents about the fines
  • identification,such as a driver’s license, healthcare card or passport.

Clinic hours

Fridays 10am-2pm

Book a session

Phone 9948 8777

Drop in to book any time. The NJC is open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.

About your Fines Assist team

Fines Assist is run by the NJC in partnership with RMIT University. You'll see senior financial counselling students who undergo comprehensive ongoing training and are supervised by our Financial Counsellors.

Additional services

If you don't live in the City of Yarra call the National Debt Helpline (External link) 1800 007 007 for help with:

  • consumer credit contract disputes credit card and personal loan arrears
  • creditor harassment mobile phone and internet contracts
  • mortgage and car finance issues
  • payday lending (bankruptcy information)
  • bankruptcy

Legal advice for financial matters

Victoria Legal Aid and Fitzroy Legal Service offer legal advise across business and commercial matters, investment, trusts, property and more.  

For more information contact Victoria Legal Aid (External link) or Fitzroy Legal Service (External link) directly.