Artwork: Teret, Corner of Little Smith Street and Webb Street, Fitzroy
Get on top of money problems
Whether you are going through our court or not, we can help you over your money problems.
Our assistance includes:
- financial counselling and debt repayment planning
- referral services
- practical forms assistance
- information about how to avoid financial pitfalls
- Centrelink debts
- City of Yarra council and utility rates and disconnections
- fines and warrants
- repossession of goods and property
- getting concessions or other entitlements
We also provide more specialised financial counselling, advocacy and other assistance packages. See the following pages for more details:
We can help you set up payment plans relating to public transport, tollway, traffic infringements, and other fines.
We can also advocate on your behalf with the organisations involved.
For more information go to Fines Assist.
Contracts, Centrelink documents and other forms can be hard to understand much less fill in. If you need help with common, but often confusing, forms our Forms Assist service can help.
For more information go to Forms & Advocacy (External link) .
If you don't live in the City of Yarra or you would rather start elsewhere, call the National Debt Helpline 1088 007 007 for help with:
- consumer credit contract disputes credit card and personal loan arrears
- creditor harassment mobile phone and internet contracts
- mortgage and car finance issues
- payday lending (bankruptcy information)
Note, all of our services offer practical assistance, information and advocacy, not financial consulting or investment advice.
Service are free, easy to organise, and confidential.
We wrap our services around our clients.
This means you get the right help from the right people, and get as many or as few services as you need.
If you’re attending court your lawyer will be your main referral pathway to services.
But the following members of the NJC team may also refer you to our financial counselling services:
- NJC’s duty lawyers
- Neighbourhood Justice Officer
- Court Network volunteer
- Salvation Army Chaplain
Legal advice for financial matters
Victoria Legal Aid and Fitzroy Legal Service offer legal advise across business and commercial matters, investment, trusts, property and more.