money and finances

Artwork: Teret, Corner of Little Smith Street and Webb Street, Fitzroy

About our financial support services

Whether you are going through our court or not, we can help you over your money problems.

Our assistance includes:

  • financial counselling and debt repayment planning
  • referral services
  • advocacy
  • practical forms assistance
  • information about how to avoid financial pitfalls
  • Centrelink debts
  • utility rates and disconnections
  • fines and warrants
  • repossession of goods and property
  • getting concessions and other entitlements

We also provide specialised financial counselling, advocacy and assistance. Visit the following pages to find out more:

Fines Assist

We can help you set up payment plans relating to public transport, tollway, traffic infringements, and other fines.

We can also advocate on your behalf with the organisations involved.

For more information visit our Fines Assist (External link) page to learn more.

Forms Assist

Contracts, Centrelink documents and other forms can be hard to understand much less fill in. If you need help with common, but often confusing forms our Forms Assist service can help.

For more information go to Forms & Advocacy (External link) (External link).

Additional services

If you don't live in the City of Yarra call the National Debt Helpline (External link) 1088 007 007 for help with:

  • consumer credit contract disputes credit card and personal loan arrears
  • creditor harassment mobile phone and internet contracts
  • mortgage and car finance issues
  • payday lending (bankruptcy information)
  • bankruptcy

Note, all of our services offer practical assistance, information and advocacy, not financial consulting or investment advice.

Service are free, easy to organise, and confidential.

Wraparound support

We wrap our treatment and support services around our clients. That is, our treatment and support services ensure you get the right help from the right service, and as many or as few services are you need.  

If you are attend court at the Centre, your duty lawyer will be your main point of contact with any services you may need.  You may also encounter our Neighbourhood Justice Officer, who is the link between the court, services, the client, and the community, and provides more intensive support interventions as well as referrals to other services.

Other people you may encounter  are the Salvation Army Officer and Court Network volunteers, all of whom provide support before, during and after court.

If you do not have a court matter, and you're a local Yarra resident, we can help you to find the right service for you.  

Legal advice for financial matters

Victoria Legal Aid and Fitzroy Legal Service offer legal advise across business and commercial matters, investment, trusts, property and more.  

For more information contact Victoria Legal Aid (External link) or Fitzroy Legal Service (External link) directly.