The model of success
Since we 2007, the Neighbourhood Justice Centre has been one of Australia’s most closely monitored and reviewed justice centres.
In one of the most comprehensive reviews, the Australian Institute of Criminology found:
- 25% lower rate of reoffending than other Magistrates’ Courts
- NJC offenders 3 times less likely to breach Community Corrections Orders (23.1% of high risk offenders breach their orders compared to a state-wide average of 59.9%).
- NJC offenders demonstrate lower breach rates for intervention orders (ranging from 4.6% to 6.3% compared to 8.73%-8.77% state-wide)
For the full report, visit the AIC .
Over the years, we have also asked clients for their honest appraisal of their experience with us. The results of these surveys tell us that our model meets the needs of our community, particularly those struggling with complex psycho-social issues.
- ‘Staff here have gone over and above what I expected. From beginning to end it has been non-stop helpfulness'
- ‘The welcoming space makes for a less stress inducing experience'
- 'There should be more courts like this.' (2017 Court User Survey).
In 2017, we were awarded International Mentor Community Court status by the US Centre for Court Innovation and the US Department of Justice. The NJC is the first community justice centre outside the US to receive the honour.